What is Podiatry?
Podiatry specialises in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of medical conditions of the feet and lower limbs.
What Conditions does Podiatry Treat?
Podiatrists treat all medical conditions of the feet and lower limbs. Common problems treated by Podiatrists include:
- Bone and joint disorders such as stress fractures and arthritis
- Soft tissue and muscular pathologies such as tendonitis and muscle strains
- Skin and nail problems including infections, callous, blisters and ingrown nails
- Neurological and circulatory disorders, particularly when associated with systemic diseases such as diabetes
Sports Podiatry at Bounce
Injuries to the feet and lower limbs make up the majority of sporting injuries. Consequently, a Podiatrist is an important part of the medical team of all athletes. Here at Bounce, our Podiatrists perform an extensive biomechanical evaluation to determine the cause of injury, and provide a comprehensive treatment regime to address both the symptoms and underlying source of the problem. Common lower limb problems treated by our Podiatrists include:
- Heel and foot pain
- Ankle pain and strains
- Achilles and other tendonitis
- Knee pain
- Shin splints
- Stress fractures
In determining the cause of your injury, a thorough history will be taken, a static evaluation of motion and strength will be performed, and a dynamic assessment of walking, running and sports-specific activities will be conducted. Based on the results of these assessments, a comprehensive treatment regime will be prescribed, which may include:
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Sporting footwear advice
- Padding and strapping
- Orthotic prescription and modification
- Cryotherapy, ultrasound and other therapies
Click here for more information regarding Podiatry.